Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Another Year Older

Well hello November! You got here much faster than I expected. I wasn't quite ready for you BUT I'm grateful you're here.

On Sunday I turned another year older and age always makes me introspective.  This last year certainly wasn't what I had hoped it would be.  Regardless, I've learned a lot and I have a clearer view of who I am, what I want and what I don't.  That being said, there are certainly some things that I'd like to focus on going forward:

1) Attitude of Gratitude. This year has been rough in a multitude of ways. I was frustrated and overwhelmed with everything and as the year progressed I found myself getting angrier and more pessimistic. You guys, it takes so much time and energy to be that angry and negative. I was constantly exhausted and mentally/emotionally drained. So unhealthy! For this year of my life I'm determined to be more positive and and generally happier.

2) Family. I became an auntie for the first time this year and every time I see my niece's little face it makes me realize how much I miss my family and how rarely we actually get to see each other. More family time will be prioritized and scheduled from now on!

3) Friends.  Friends are truly the family you choose for yourself and I've been guilty of not focusing enough on maintaining and building those relationships this year.  I am so grateful for the people in my life who have chosen to be my friends and I want to ensure that I continue to dedicate time and energy letting them know how important they are to me.

4) Grace.  For many reasons, this last year has felt like one big failure and disappointment.  I was beating myself up for not achieving what is considered personal and professional "success" for my age.  It was all a load of crap!  Life is too short to constantly be striving for others ideals of what life should be.  It's ok to not have things fall perfectly in line with what I envisioned.  That doesn't make me a failure or a bad person.  That's life!  Instead, I'll be focusing on what makes me happy, leaving myself open to opportunities as they come, and most importantly giving myself grace when things don't go as expected. 

5) Travel and Adventure. In 2013 - 2014 I traveled so much. I had so many adventures that took me to Oregon, Chicago, Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Maryland and Washington D.C. This year with so my much going on I didn't travel at all. The only trips I took were to Vegas to visit family. I didn't realize how much I missed having travel adventures until recently. Next year it's on! Who knows, maybe I can manage to even get an international stamp in my passport.


 
Do you ever set goals for yourself for your birthday?  What types of things are you focusing on?

No comments:

Post a Comment