Wednesday, October 21, 2015

So What Had Happened Was....

So...I can't run.  I was in denial for a long time but I've finally have to come to terms with the fact that I'm currently on the injured list.  My right achilles is being a punk and unfortunately it's really impeding my ability to do much more than walk right now.  I've never had an achilles issue before so this has thrown me for a bit of a loop. 

I know you're probably wondering what this means for my grand plans for a massive PR at my fall marathon.  Whelp, that's not happening.  After much deliberation (and quite a few tears) I've decided to pull myself from the REVEL Canyon City Marathon this year.  I am beyond bummed as I was looking forward to seeing and running with some of my favorite running friends from other parts of the country but it's the right thing to do.  The last thing I want to do is push through the race and end up causing a worse injury that'll require a much longer recovery time.  I have to keep my long term goal of a lifetime of running in mind!

No worries though!  I still have plans to wog (that's jog/walk in non-running terms) the Big Sur Half Marathon which happens to fall on the same weekend and is a local race so I can literally run (or walk) out of my front door to the start line.  I still get to experience the race atmosphere but from the comfort of my own home and without the added travel expenses.  I consider it a pretty good alternative considering the circumstances.

At the end of the day, I know I'll be back out there pounding the pavement sooner versus later.  This is just a little detour in my running journey.  I'll be back to running happy and stronger and faster than ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment