Tuesday, September 8, 2015

FOMO

FOMO - Fear of Missing Out.  According to Wikipedia FOMO is a pervasive apprehension that others might be having rewarding experiences from which one is absent.  This social angst is characterized by "a desire to stay continually connected with what others are doing".  In my world, this means I don't want to miss out on any of the running fun which explains why I signed up for a minimum of one race each month for the past two years (with as many as a race every weekend during some months including bicoastal travel).



I loved every single race that I ran and I am so grateful for the memories that I have and the new friends that I've made.  But if I'm going to be completely honest, I was majorly burnt out in every possible way by the time December rolled around.  Not to mention my bank account took a major hit with all of the traveling to and from the east coast and all over California!  Last year was the epitome of burnout and it was so hard for me to rediscover my running motivation and mojo.

I've been pretty good this year about not getting suckered into registering for more races just because all of my running friends are doing it.  However, now that the fall racing season is rolling around I'm starting to get the race itch again.  I am trying oh so hard to stick to the races that I already currently have on my calendar but man do I feel a pang of jealousy every time I see someone post about a race they just signed up for or a runcation that they're traveling for.

As much as I want to run all the races and join all the training runs that my friends are running, I am trying really hard to focus on my end goal which is to PR at Revel Canyon City Marathon.  I want that PR so bad I can taste it!  So much so that I'm doing things a bit differently this time:

1) I'm actually training!  Shocker right?  In all of the years that I've been running I have never, ever properly trained for a race.  I've kinda sorta followed the training plans that were given to me but I was never consistent.  I'd miss a run or two a week and/or run less mileage than I was scheduled to.  Granted, I only have about 8 weeks for really focused marathon training this training cycle but it's definitely a lot more than I've ever done in the past.

2) I'm working with a coach!  Yes, T is my "unofficial" coach but I needed a professional to break down the training cycle and provide a plan which included cross training days and runs by mileage, type and pace.  I've teamed up with Jackie from Fit Sparrow Coaching for the next eight weeks to hopefully get my body into PR shape.  Boy does she have her work cut out for her!  Hopefully I won't disappoint her.  Added bonus that she's running REVEL Canyon City too so I get to collapse crying into her arms whether or not I get that PR.  I'm sure she'll be thrilled to read that sentence.  HA!

2014 CIM Expo.  That's Jackie to my left.  She's awesome.

3) Speed work.  I absolutely hate speed work.  I mean really hate it.  Fortunately, Jackie listened to my gripes about running around in circles on a track and has formulated most of my speed work so that I can do the workouts while on an actual run. Win-win in my book!

4) I'm working on my nutrition for a change.  Typically I fall into the "I'm marathon training and I ran a bajillion miles so Im gonna eat what I want when I want" trap every training cycle and am completely unapologetic about it.  This time around I want to give myself every advantage to ensure this race goes well so I've been eating fairly clean and minimizing the junk.  So far so good for the most part with the exception of the uncontrollable need for a soda post-long run.  Ultras have ruined me in that regard!

So there you have it!  I'm still battling with FOMO but I'm determined to keep my eye on the prize.  This past Sunday started my first week of coached training so we'll see how it goes.  I promise to keep y'all updated!

Have you ever worked with a coach?  How did it work out for you?  Anyone else running Revel Canyon City?

No comments:

Post a Comment