Wednesday, June 24, 2015

UPDATE: What Just Happened?

Hi! It's me.  I know you've probably forgotten all about me since my posts have been few and far between this year.  The truth is I haven't really had much to blog about. 

Professionally, I've been crazy busy diving into my new job and learning as much as I can.  Like any job it has it's ups and downs but for the most part I'm really, really enjoying it (the fact that I like my co-workers is definitely a huge plus).  Personally, I've been making a point to spend more time with family and friends that doesn't necessarily involve running.  I don't want to regret not seeing or talking to a loved one because I was "too busy".  I've also met a new special someone whose company I've been enjoying over the last several months.  It's been fun getting to know each other and doing things that we both enjoy.  Major bonus that he's also a runner (and a fast one at that)!

To be honest, it's been really nice to focus on other aspects of my life other than running.  Not that I've cut running out completely but it's been nice to rediscover my love of the sport without the pressure of training for multiple consecutive races.  Running is fun again!

I knew I would want to get some races in before 2015 ended so I had quite a few races lined up for Fall/Winter.  Most of my races were "fun" races with a goal marathon planned in November at the Two Cities Marathon.  I knew I wanted my focus to be on PR'ing the marathon distance but for whatever reason I haven't been feeling it.  Every time I thought about Two Cities I didn't get excited about it.  It almost felt like a chore instead of something that I wanted to work towards.

And then something happened.  While I was talking to our company's tax broker yesterday our business conversation somehow segued into running and races.  She mentioned that she had signed up for this really fast race in November that's supposed to be ideal for PR's.  The more she talked about it, the more intrigued I became.  Soon I was looking up the race website and googling race recaps and talking to fellow runners about their experiences.  My dilemma was that I was already registered for two other races around the same timeframe.  I didn't know what to do!  I deliberated about it and had conversations with my BRFs (best running friends) and my special someone about what I should do.  The next thing I knew I had my credit card out and I was typing away on the registration page.  So now this is happening:



The Revel Canyon City Marathon is a fast downhill course that "takes runners from the forests and canyons of the Angeles National Forest to the foothills of Azusa".  Everyone I've talked to says it combines the feel of a road race with the spectacular beauty of a trail race.  Win-win in my book!  I'm really scared of all that downhill (the first 13 miles are straight downhill before you hit rolling hills for the second half) but I'm excited about taking on the challenge.  I have butterflies in my tummy and it's been a long, long time since I've had that feeling.

So here's what my race calendar for the second half of 2015 looks like:

Salinas Valley Half Marathon         August 1
Run-de-Vous 50k                           August 15
Toro Trail Run 30k                        August 29
Two Cities Marathon                     November 1
Revel Canyon City Marathon         November 7
Big Sur Half Marathon                   November 8
Beat the Blerch Half Marathon      November 14
Honolulu Marathon                        December 15

Let the training begin!

Have you ever hit a slump with your training/racing?  Is anyone else going to be running any of the races I'm running?

No comments:

Post a Comment