Thursday, January 15, 2015

Redefining My 2015 Goals

At the end of last year in the midst of my big running funk I started signing up for a bunch of races in hopes that by the time the new year rolled around I'd be all gung ho about running again.  Thankfully, I didn't go as crazy with the race registrations as I normally do!  Now that I'm about midway through January I can already tell that my focus is shifting from what I originally thought and I'm re-evaluating what it is I want to achieve this year.


Here's a quick recap of what my 2015 goals were:

1) Rediscover my running motivation and pure love of the run.

2) Redefine my lifestyle.

3) Run fast. Run far. But run FAST.  Race goals are:

  • Half Marathon PR - the ever elusive sub-2:00
  • Marathon PR - A Goal: 4:15:xx, B Goal: 4:25:xx, C Goal: 4:28:xx
  • 50 mile PR - Anything faster than 12 hours

I am killing it with my first two goals and I'm thrilled about that.  My nutrition has improved tremendously and I can really feel the difference in my energy and how my body feels.  My cross training has also been on point and I can feel my body getting stronger every day.  I've also found that running motivation that eluded me towards the end of last year and I'm loving every single run.  Goal number three, however, is a bit more of a struggle for me.

My original 2015 race goals had me focusing on speed across all distances and in retrospect that was a really tough expectation to set for myself.  I'm not naturally speedy and I tend to be lazy about speedwork which obviously does not lend itself to cranking out PR's.  My current workout/run schedule is beating up my body (in a good way!) but I don't want to push it too hard and risk injury. And to be honest, I really don't feel any desire to run all distances this year.

After much contemplation and some serious internal debate I've decided to cut out ultras this year.  I really, REALLY wanna hit the half and full marathon time goals that I've set for myself and that means not running every single race.  I have to focus on what I know in my heart is best for me so unfortunately I'm not going to be racing the American River 50 this year.  I'm a little disappointed as I was really hoping to see so many of my favorite ultra runners however I need to do what's best for me.

Now that I've figured out what I'll be focusing on, my eye is on the prize.  I am going to work my butt off and do everything that I can to reach the goals that I've set for myself.  I'm determined to make it happen!  And even if I don't, I know that I'll be proud of the fact that I gave it my all.


No comments:

Post a Comment