Monday, July 28, 2014

The Race That Didn't Happen

Let's get to the down and dirty...the San Francisco Marathon didn't happen for me.  I was super bummed but it was the smart choice for me to make.  But let's rewind a bit.

Monday was one of the busiest days at work for me.  I was cranky and tired but I dragged myself out after work for a 5 mile run with friends.  My ankle was tight (I had injured it 3 years ago at my 2nd marathon, a long story involving a tarantula and a stupid pacer) but I dismissed it since it usually went away after a few miles once it warmed up.  It never went away but I finished pain free so I immediately forgot about it.

Tuesday was track day and I was exhausted (thank you insomnia) so I didn't do much other than walk and lightly jog around for a few miles.

Wednesday I headed out with friends for a 6 mile run after work. My ankle was REALLY tight and running uphill soon became hard for me since I couldn't quite flex my foot completely.  I finished out the run but I wasn't happy.  No pain thankfully but lots of discomfort.

I was mad. But I loved my new Ink N Burn singlet!

Thursday was a quick and easy 3 miler and I took Friday off as a rest day.

Saturday morning I woke up and joined my Team In Training team for their coached long run on one of my absolute favorite training routes.  The half marathoners were scheduled for 10 miles and the full marathoners were scheduled for 14 miles of non-stop brutal hills.  It's a super tough route but it's one of my favorites because it's a huge confidence booster to get through it.  I planned to run the full 14 miles because it sounded fun...or something.

As soon as we started I was sweating bullets.  It was unusually warm and humid for 7:30 AM and there was no breeze at all to help cool us down.  I'm not a fan of running in heat so I already knew this run was going to be even harder than usual.  As per usual, my right ankle was tight but I was hopeful that it would loosen up since I had taken Friday off as a complete rest day.  Did that happen? Nope.  Not even a little bit.  If anything, it tightened up even more to the point where it was bordering on painful.  Thankfully I was running with a group of awesome folks who kept me entertained enough that I forgot about it for most of the run.  When we got to the 10 mile turnaround point I decided to turn around and go back rather than risking potential injury by running farther. Hooray for smart running!  Once we got back to our cars I stretched out my ankle on the curb and figured I would be good to go for race day. So, so wrong!

Team In Training rocks!
 

I got home and took off my shoes and socks and was shocked to see how swollen my ankle and foot were. Not good!  The only other time my foot ever swelled up was at Nanny Goat 100 miler and that was because I had laced my shoes on a little too tight after a sock change.  That foot was immediately dunked in an ice bath and I threw compression socks on afterwards.  Once I had my foot nicely elevated on a stack of pillows on my couch I proceeded to pout.  There was no way I was going to get through the hills of the San Francisco Marathon without making it worse.  Even the half would probably cause it to worsen.  So I made the smartest decision I could given the situation...I decided to DNS. 

Was I bummed? Most definitely.  I took a very expensive trip to Whole Paycheck on race day to drown my sorrows then moped around in my pj's for the rest of the day.  Did I regret my decision?  Not at all.  I have the Salinas Valley Half Marathon this coming Saturday and Run-de-Vous 50 miler 2 weeks after that.  Both of which are races I really want to run.  I've finally learned that the long term goal is much more important than the short term.  I'll be back stronger than ever...just watch and see! 

No comments:

Post a Comment