Wednesday, May 21, 2014

T-2 Days 'Til "Goat" Time!

Whew, I got a bit of anxiety and "butterflies in the tummy" action just by typing out that title.  Nanny Goat 24 hour is this weekend and I am in full on freakout mode!  This is my big, scary race of the year and I can't help but think I'm not remotely ready to do 100 miles (and quite a bit crazy to even attempt it).

For those who aren't familiar with Nanny Goat, it's an ultramarathon held at a private horse ranch in Riverside, CA that offers a 12 hour and 24 hour race option (as well as a relay for the 24 hour option).  For those who are looking to earn the 100 mile buckle, runners must complete 86 miles or more by the 24 hour cut-off and are then allotted an additional 4 hours to complete the full 100 miles.  There is a firm 28 hour cut-off for all 100 mile runners.

This is the 100 mile buckle.  Isn't it pretty?

The kicker is this race is set on a one mile loop course.  That's right, one mile.  As in I have to run 100 loops on the trail to get in 100 miles.  Sounds fun, right?!  I've done looped courses before and as mentally challenging as they are, there's a certain comfort in knowing that support/aid stations aren't far away and that as you fatigue your legs retain a certain muscle memory of the course making moving forward almost automatic. Plus, there are porta potties along the course which apparently is a rarity for ultramarathons.

The biggest scary thing about this race for me is the heat.  Thankfully the predicted weather forecast has gone down quite a bit (it originally showed race weekend temps with a high of 92/93.  EEK!) but it's still quite toasty for this coastal gal.  When I ran my first ultramarathon last year, Run-de-Vous 100k, my body overheated quite a bit and the temps didn't rise above 78 degrees or so.  I literally had a meltdown on the course!  Then I had a popsicle and was happy as a clam again.  I'm telling ya, the emotional highs and lows at ultras are ridiculous!

So hot!

So now I'm sitting here going over my list of stuff to bring and laying everything out to pack so that I don't forget anything.  I always forget how much stuff is needed for a race of this magnitude until I write it all out and lay it out on my living room floor.  And there are tons of things that I still need to buy to bring with me.  It's quite a tedious process!

My living room floor. And I'm not even close to being done packing.

Most of all I'm just trying to remember to breathe and calm myself down.  The training is done, there's nothing more that I can do at this point to change the outcome of race weekend and whatever will happen out on the course will happen.  All that I can do is give it my very best and leave everything I have out on the race course.

Do you have any race mantras that you use on race day? I can use all of the suggestions and positive thoughts that I can get!

5 comments:

  1. Sending lots of {{{strong legs running vibes}}} your way! You will dominate this ultra! I have only run in one half (my first one this year) so I am in awe of someone who runs ultras! Best of luck to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Stacy! Congrats on running your first half! That's a great accomplishment. When's your next one going to be?

      Delete
    2. Hi Sharon,

      I hope you are recovering well from the race. Congratulations, you did it!
      Since I live near SoCal, I am thinking about signing up for the RnR Half in Vegas in November. It looks like fun!

      Delete
  2. Thinking about you as it must be getting dark out there. Keep on truckin!! Get that buckle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for all of your support and encouragement, Jeff! It means the world to me. :)

      Delete