Monday, May 12, 2014

Life didn't go as planned

Life has been crazy lately.  It's been quite a ride with all of the changes and commitments I've currently been juggling in both my personal and professional life.  It's really made doing my required runs and workouts more difficult than it should be.

This weekend I was in Southern California to help my baby sister out with wedding planning, wedding dress shopping, finding my MoH dress as well as spending time with my mom for Mother's Day.  My sister's wedding is scheduled for June (as in next month) so it's been a bit of a whirlwind trying to get everything done.  I had grand plans to get a run in every day that I was there but with all of the things that we had scheduled it just didn't happen and I'm ok with that.  As much as I'd love to have gotten the mileage in, I wouldn't trade the time I spent with my family for anything.

I'm pretty sure this was written for me

The truth is life isn't all unicorns and butterflies and rainbows.  Things happen and despite our best intentions some things just don't go as planned and that's ok.  It's been a really hard lesson for me to learn and I'm still learning to accept this truth completely (my type A OCD self has a hard time letting things go).

And if I'm really being truthful, I have to admit I've been extremely overwhelmed these days.  I've over committed myself and I'm burning the candle at both ends to make everything happen.  Something had to give and unfortunately that thing has been my running.  

My big scary 100 mile race is coming up in less than 2 weeks and I'm terrified that this lull in my training will wreak havoc for me on race day.  But unfortunately it is what it is.  There is nothing that I can do this close to race day to make up for the miles that I've missed so I have to leave it all up to the ultra gods and pray that my stubbornness and persistence will be enough for me to gut it out to the finish.

My 100 miler will also be my last race until July.  As weird as it is to not have a race every month I cannot tell you how much I'm looking forward to the break.  I really think I need the time to regroup, clear my head and find my passion for running again.  Some me time is desperately needed.

Not to worry though!  I'll be back to my happy, cheery running self in no time.  I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment