Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Hello Track! I missed you...but not really

Today was the first day of track for the Team In Training fall season.  I really look forward to these track sessions primarily because I'm lazy (yes, I admit it!) and I'm not fond of speedwork so these TNT track sessions are a way to hold me accountable and get me to actually do speedwork.  Plus, getting to run with a group is always more fun than trying to slog it out solo.

Truth: I hate speedwork.  It's my kryptonite.  There's something about running around in circles on a track that is sooo hard for me.  And forget even trying to get me on the dreadmill to do it!  That's why I'm always so happy when TNT season starts up.  The workout is already set by the coaches and I get to run with a bunch of people who push me to go faster and harder than I would on my own.  It's a win-win!

Since this was the very first track session the workout was simple: 2 lap warm-up, 1 mile speedwork (hard effort the straight-aways, medium effort on the curves) and a 2 lap cool down.  Geez am I out of shape!  It was only a mile of speedowork but trying to push pace on those straight-aways kicked my butt.  I was so embarrassed.

At least I now have a baseline with which to gauge my speed.  I can only get better and faster from here, right?!

So happy to be done!

Do you do speedwork on the track or treadmill?  What's the hardest speed workout that you do?

1 comment:

  1. I love speedwork, I love the challenge and I love the feeling of being on the track...it makes me feel like a real runner :) Hardest speed workout has got to be Yasso 800's!

    ReplyDelete