Thursday, April 24, 2014

Hills, Orcas and Coffee

This week is taper week for the Big Sur International Marathon.  I had some great runs this week and I think I'm as ready as I'm gonna be for race day.  Here's the breakdown:

Monday:
The Boston Marathon!  I cannot even tell you how much watching this marathon meant to me.  Not only is this my holy grail race but I remember vividly the emotional havoc from last year's race when many were trying to find loved ones and scrambling to hear the status of friends who were running the race.  This year was the "redemption race" for many people who didn't get to finish the race last year and I couldn't wait to watch the live feed, track my runner friends and hear everyone's stories.

I was jumping up and down for joy and had tears in my eyes when Meb crossed the finish line as the Boston Marathon winner!  Getting to watch the live feed for friends and seeing the numerous posts leading up to and during the race made my heart happy.  I swear one day I'm gonna run this race!  I may have to wait until I'm 70 or 80 years old but I'm gonna do it dang it!

In celebration, I ran outside for a quick 2 mile jaunt. 2060 Boston Marathon I'm coming for ya!

Tuesday:
I was still so amped about Meb's win and seeing all the happy race and finishers pictures from my friends who were running the Boston Marathon that I met up with Eva and Brian to take on the 3 B's. The 3 B's are three consecutive hills that get steeper as you climb.  No downhill or flat in between...just nonstop climbing.

The beginning of this run is always hard for me (it's a gradual uphill on a soft/loose dirt trail) so I was sucking wind for the first mile.  Then we hit the base of the 3 B's and everyone took a deep breath before we started climbing. Man was it hard!  It was warm out so I slowed down a lot to try to make it to the top without stopping.  At one point I looked over and asked my friends if I was even moving!  We got to the summit and exchanged a round of high fives before heading back.  Hooray for downhills!  By the time we got back to the trail I had caught my breath and we were able to finish the run with a strong sprint.  High fives all around!

We even wore black in honor of the 3 B's

Wednesday:
On Tuesday I met up with Sarah at o'dark thirty for an "easy" run.  The plan was to keep a 10:30 pace for 6 miles but it didn't quite work out that way.  I love early morning runs! I love starting the run in the dark and getting to watch the sun rise.  It's so peaceful and pretty!

Sarah and I were chatting away and unbeknownst to us we kept getting faster with each mile. Since it felt good, we decided to go with it and our "easy" run turned into a progression run with the fastest mile being a 9:12.  Oopsies?!

Grainy pic of the sun rising

Cheesers

Thursday:
My friend Kelly is in town to run the Big Sur International Marathon so we got together to get in one last run before race day.  The plan was to run slow and easy within the 10:00/10:15ish pace but again that didn't quite work out the way we had planned.  We started chatting and before we knew it my Garmin beeped for the first mile...at a 9:38 min/mile!  Oops.  The rest of the miles were a combination of chatting, laughing and me saying "Dang it we sped up again! Why is it so hard to slow down today?". HA!  We even got to see some orca whales pretty close to the coast, at least closer than I'd ever seen them before.  And not that far away from them were some dolphins playing in the water.  It was so cool!

Picture break at Mile 3

Kelly is my picture taking twin

Such a pretty day!

That view!

After the run, we met up with Skinny Chick Blog and her husband Mike for coffee at a local Starbucks.  OMG these guys are HILARIOUS!  I was laughing so hard that my tummy hurt.  Can I claim that as my ab workout for the day? Yes?!  If you haven't checked out her blog yet please swing on by and take a look.  It's good stuff!

These ladies rock!

And that's a wrap!  All that's left to do is a easy 2 mile shake out run on Saturday and the big 26.2 on Sunday. Oh and a 30 miler on Monday.  No big deal.

Anyone have a run or workout scheduled for the day?  Do you have any races lined up this weekend?  

1 comment:

  1. It was so nice to meet you!! Let me know if you need a running, coffee or farmers market buddy. Good luck running Big Sur!

    ReplyDelete