Tuesday, April 29, 2014

2014 Big Sur International Marathon Part 1 - Race Expo Shenanigans

WHOA what a weekend! I had so much fun and so much I'd love to share.  I suppose I should start at the beginning....

On Saturday morning I met up with my RFRC friends for a lovely little 2 mile shake-out run.  Most of the RFRC members are from the east coast so I was looking forward to spending some miles with them and catching-up.  Despite my fears about the weather being horrible it ended up being a lovely day out in Monterey and I was actually quite warm.

RFRC shake-out run

I got to share 2 miles with Handan

After the shake-out run we all meandered into the Big Sur International Marathon Expo to pick up bibs, shuttle passes and spend some moolah on all things running related.

Big Sur Marathon Expo

This is the sight that greeted runners

I, of course, had to swing by all of my favorite booths to say hi to my peeps.  First stop was the Newton booth where I got to spend a few minutes with my fave shoe rep, Brad Jacobs.  Brad is a hoot and he runs a lot of races in a curly blonde wig (don't be fooled by his shenanigans...Brad is super speedy).  Anyhoo, I caught sight of the wig and while Brad was helping out some customers I pulled a quick ninja move and took the wig for a quick photo op.  I'm not sure blonde is my color but it was fun to pretend for a little while.

Imitating my favorite Newton rep, Brad Jacobs

Afterwards, I hit up all of The Treadmill's 10 booths and then proceeded to work my way through the expo chatting with everyone along the way.  I also helped myself to the free chocolate at the Ghiradelli booth.  Is chocolate considered carbo loading?  I'm gonna claim it anyway.

Once everyone had their fill of the expo we headed down the street for a carbo loading lunch at Rosine's.  Rosine's is a local favorite restaurant that has great food but they're known in the area for their dessert.  Their cakes and pies are humongous and I have yet to be able to finish one slice (and believe me I've tried!).  The whole gang chatted away about all things running and races while we stuffed our faces with some good food.  After we had filled our bellies we all parted ways to prop up our legs and get all of our race gear prep underway for race day.  

RFRC selfie pre-lunch

Carbo-loading lunch with my running family

As soon as I got home I did a little foam rolling, threw on some compression sleeves for good measure and got my race gear ready.  The weather man kept predicting rain on race morning but I am truly a shorts or skirts girl so I put out shorts with compression shorts but also had some capris nearby just in case it looked like rain.  With that I put myself to bed at 8:00 PM with hopes that I'd get some sleep since I had a super early 3:00 AM wake-up call.

Flat runner

Next up, race day!

No comments:

Post a Comment