Thursday, March 13, 2014

Last O'dark Thirty Run

It's almost race day! Yesterday morning was my last scheduled o'dark thirty run with the ladies (Michele, Sarah and Heather) before I left for the weekend.  Why is the time change so hard this time around?  I was struggling to get up when my stupid alarm went off at 4:30 AM.  If my sole sisters weren't waiting for me, I wouldn't have even bothered.

Michele had 6 miles of speed intervals (90 secs hard sprint/60 secs recovery) on her training calendar for the day so we all agreed to run along with her.  That was the plan anyway.  My legs and feet apparently didn't get that memo. I stuck with the girls for the first mile chatting away and catching up but before I knew it my legs kept getting faster and faster. Apparently they wanted to do a progressive run more than they wanted to do intervals! I did slow down considerably during a dark section of the bike trail where I was too scared to get too far in front of the ladies just in case some crazy person jumped out at me.  As soon as I hit that turnaround point though, my legs went into autopilot and I started speeding up again until I got back to the cars. That last 1/2 mile almost killed me! Trying to kick it in on an uphill with only one functioning nostril is not so easy!

Look at those happy, sweaty faces!

The good news is that my legs and feet felt great!  The bad news was that my splits weren't where they needed to be for the PR time I was hoping for. Whomp, whomp! That's ok though.  I just need to keep in mind that I just ran a 50 miler, my body is fighting fatigue and stress and I currently have the worst allergies and jacked up sinuses in the world.  Re-adjusting my finish time goal isn't a bad thing.  It just means I'll have to work a bit harder to hit that PR time in the Fall!

This is my "Why the hell was that so hard?" face

Final stats:
Distance: 6.52 miles
Total time: 1:04:06
Splits: 11:02, 9:23, 9:11, 10:19, 10:04, 9:28, 8:56
Average pace: 9:49 min/mile

Who else is running a race this weekend?  Do you have a time goal in mind?

No comments:

Post a Comment