Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Back on the Marathon Training Train

Whelp, I took a bit of a longer hiatus from running after my 50 miler than I intended to.  I was scheduled to run the LA Marathon this past weekend but for once I decided to do the "smart" thing and skip the race to allow my body to fully rest/recover so that I can race the Yuengling Shamrock Marathon this coming weekend. Instead, I spent the weekend with my sister and future brother-in-law checking out wedding venues and doing some wedding planning. WHEW! This wedding planning business is no joke! I was exhausted.  Needless to say, I got no running in at all.

Thankfully I got a text from my friend Heather letting me know that she was going to be in town for a few days and would love to get a run in if possible. Score! Nothing motivates me to run more than knowing I have a friend meeting up with me.

Heather and I met up after work yesterday at our normal meeting spot on our local coastal beach trail and we both agreed that we wanted to do an easy run.  As usual, we started chatting away the second we took our first steps and before I knew it we were already at the halfway turnaround point!  Here's my thing...I always have to have negative splits if I can help it. Always! And Heather is a chaser just like me so we both started speeding up while still chatting a mile a minute (it's a talent I tell ya!).  I think the only time we didn't talk was when we hit the corkscrew because I'm not quite talented enough to carry-on a conversation while charging up a hill.  I kinda need to focus on breathing at that point. HA! Once we both reached the summit, we resumed talking and sped up even more to get that final quarter mile back to our cars under a 9:00 min/mile.

Me and Heather


Final stats:
Distance: 4.02 miles
Total time: 39:56
Splits: 10:03, 9:56, 9:56, 9:53, 8:24 (for the .02)
Average Pace: 9:56 min/mile
 
Gotta love the Cali weather! Yes, I know I'm spoiled.

It was a great run, my legs felt fresh and I loved catching up with my friend.  It's taper week this week so tomorrow will be my last scheduled training run day before I head off to Virginia Beach.  I'm so not ready for this race! EEK!

Do you like running with friends or are you more of a solo runner? What's the next race on your schedule?

2 comments: