Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The day I got my speed back


#Truth

Today was supposed to be a double run day but I think my body's still adjusting to the increase in my mileage plus all of the crosstraining that I've been doing because I overslept and missed my o'dark thirty run. Oops!

Thankfully I was able to meet up with my friend Kelly for our scheduled afternoon run.  We decided to do a 4 mile progressive run and see how our bodies felt.  It was chilly out and the headwind was cold but overall it was perfect run weather.  I struggled a bit in the beginning to find my pace on the slight uphill but got into my zone about a half mile in.  When my Garmin beeped for the first mile I looked down and was shocked to see a sub-10:00 min/mile.  Even at my speediest, I always run a 10:00 - 10:30 min/mile for my first mile or two just because it usually takes that long for my body to warm up so a sub-10:00 was a pleasant surprise.  Imagine my surprise when I heard the beep for mile 2 and saw a sub-9:00 min/mile.  My jaw dropped!  And the amazing thing was it felt nice and easy.  So I kept pushing!  With each mile my pace dropped and the surprising thing was it felt relatively effortless to pick up speed.  Was I working?  Yes, most definitely.  But was I dying? NO! 

My last mile was a really hard effort.  I pushed my pace up the corkscrew hill and powered my way to the parking lot where our cars were parked.  I pushed so hard that I thought I was going to throw up (probably because I was pushing at a 5:40 min/mile for that last .1 mile or so. HA!).  As I stood there gagging I took a look at my Garmin and a huge smile lit up my entire face.

Garmin results:

Distance: 4 miles
Time: 36:03
Average Pace: 9:00 min/mile
Splits: 9:49, 8:53, 8:48 and 8:32
    
Holla! Finally! Hello speed, it's nice to see you again.

Big smiles post-run with my speedy friend Kelly

HOLLA!

I've been really discouraged for the last few weeks over my loss of speed since the holidays and I've started to seriously doubt whether I'd be able to reach any of my 2014 race goals.  This run was exactly the confidence boost that I needed and a reminder that I can achieve whatever goal I set for myself just as long as I work hard for it.  I still haven't seen a sub-8:00 min/mile yet since last year but that's ok.  I know it's just a matter of time before I'll be hitting those speedy paces again.  In the meantime, I'll put in the work, get in the mileage, target huge goals, and dream big dreams.  The speed will come.
 
One day Boston.  One day....

No comments:

Post a Comment