Monday, February 17, 2014

22 miles, Crossfit & C12 Recovery

Hellooo everyone!

Isn't it crazy how life gets in the way of your best laid plans sometimes?  I was supposed to be in Georgia this weekend to celebrate Valentine's Day with my boyfriend and had grand plans to be writing about my long run in Augusta but unfortunately Mother Nature had other ideas.  After waiting at the airport for almost 5 hours on Thursday (3 gate holds and flight delays later), we were informed that due to all of the snow and ice our flight was canceled and that essentially no one was going to be able to fly out to Charlotte or Georgia until Saturday. Whomp whomp!  So instead of a fun-filled weekend post about my adventures and running in Georgia, you get to hear all about my running in Cali.  Grab a snack and something to drink...this may be a long one.

I made plans to meet up with my friends Michele, Sarah and Chantel to run 12 miles on Sunday.  I had 22 miles on my calendar so I decided to run down to our meeting spot from my apartment (about 4.25 miles), meet up with the girls for the 12 miles then finish up my run by running back up and around my apartment.
I got a late start on Sunday morning so I ended up running down my hill much faster than my normal "warm-up" pace.  Then, thanks to some GI issues and a potty stop along the way I picked up the pace some more to make sure I made it to our meeting spot on time.  The result:

Mile 1:  9:56
Mile 2:  9:45
Mile 3:  9:39
Mile4:  8:58

Oops!  Definitely way too fast for me for a long run and I knew I'd pay for it later.

I got to the meeting spot and we all took off together.  The girls had fresh legs and quickly left me behind but considering how fast my first 4 miles were I deliberately pulled back on the pace to make sure I didn't die in the second half of my run.  Lemme tell ya, trying to force a 10:35 min/mile when my legs were just running sub-10:00 min/miles sure was tough!  Especially when my friends were zooming along ahead of me and I have a habit of "chasing rabbits".  I was a good girl though and never let my pace get lower than a 10:15.  Woohoo!

The view when we first started out. Overcast but humid.


With each mile we ran, the clouds started clearing and it started getting warmer.  The air was also heavy since it was uncharacteristically humid out.  I hadn't anticipated the humidity and had worn a long sleeved tech shirt since it's typically windy and chilly along the path that we were running.  Heat and humidity is my kryptonite.  I start whining like a baby and have a mental meltdown as soon as I start overheating.  Unfortunately, I didn't have a tank top on under my long sleeved shirt and I really didn't want to traumatize anyone by running in my sportsbra so I had to suffer through being hot.  I was NOT a happy camper!

Thankfully, the company of my friends and the gorgeous ocean views kept me from turning into a complete crankypants and we kept trucking along at around a 10:35 min/mile pace.  We even had a celebrity sighting when we saw our local Olympian Blake Russell in Pebble Beach!  She was sprinting along looking graceful and speedy while I was doing some version of the zombie shuffle.  She waved and said "Good morning!" and I think I managed a half wave and mumbled "G'morning". Sad. She really is the nicest person ever though!  I wish I could wake up and miraculously look like her when I run and be just as speedy. Can someone make that happen please?

Anyhoo, on our way back we hopped onto the trail for some variety.  I am not a trail runner normally (I am just too accident prone) however it was a nice change from running on the road.  The view was so pretty too!  We even saw some egrets and a variety of other birds enjoying the beautiful weather.  It was awesome!

Gotta love trails
It wasn't long before we were back on the rec trail and were treated to clear skies and gorgeous ocean views.  No matter how cranky I may be during my run, these views always make me happy.  Who wouldn't be happy running next to this?  



We got to our meeting point and we all hugged good-bye.  My friends got to go feed their tummies with yummy food while I continued on to finish out the remaining 5.75 miles on my run.

These girls are the best
So pretty!

I could've just sat and stared at this view for hours

While I was shuffling along I ran into my friend Caren who was getting a warm-up run in.  She told me that everyone was going to meet up for a Crossfit session in about 10 minutes.  So what do you think this not-so-smart runner did? Yup. Pitstop at Crossfit during mile 17 of a 22 mile run.  Totally normal, right?!

Say what?!?! Not a long run friendly WOD

I wasn't completely dumb though.  Once I saw how lower body heavy the WOD was I opted to just do the warm-up and ran around taking pictures of everyone for a few minutes.  Mostly I was just happy to be able to see these faces:


After my little pitstop, I kept on going and just enjoyed the views along the way.  Admittedly, I stopped caring about pace at this point and just wanted to be done.  My stomach was growling and I was starting to get hangry.  Never a good thing!  I also decided to run out on the rec trail a little farther out than I had at the start of my run.  That way I could walk up the 1 mile hill to my apartment without feeling guilty about cutting the "run" short.

 
The seagull seemed happy

WOOT! 22 miles + 1 mile cooldown walk DONE!

Once I got home I immediately showered, foam rolled and threw on my compression sleeves and ankle brace.  My ankle didn't bother me at all during the run and didn't have any pain afterwards but I wore the sleeve as a preventative measure.  Better safe than sorry!

Gotta love the sexy runners feet tan

I also tried out C12 Recovery for the first time.  Caren was kind enough to give me a sample when I stopped by for Crossfit and I made sure to take it as soon as I got home (the directions said to take it within 30 minutes of your workout).  Here's a snippet of what C12 Recovery is all about straight from their website:

"In a nutshell, C12 Recovery is a powder that you mix and drink immediately after exercise. C12 Recovery takes advantage of a critical time window, called the anabolic window. The anabolic window is prime time for muscle recovery and C12 provides a combination of high quality protein and carbohydrates to replenish muscles when they need them the most. If you drink C12 recovery immediately after exercise you will significantly reduce delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Tomorrow will be a less sore day."


I had always wanted to try C12 Recovery since a lot of my friends who are avid athletes (crossfitters, runners, triathletes, martial artists, etc.) have sworn by it but I had never gotten around to grabbing a sample.  Considering I had just ran 22 miles I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to try it out and really see how it works.  I personally mixed C12 with almond milk and it had a light nutty/cocoa flavor.  Nothing overwhelming or too sweet.  It also didn't have a super gritty or chalky texture which is a definite plus in my book.  You guys...this stuff is thebomb.com!  I woke-up with absolutely no soreness or pain today.  My legs are definitely still fatigued (which is to be expected) but I have none of the usual post-long run issues that I usually have. I'm a fan!  I'll definitely be ordering some for my upcoming marathons and ultras (can you say 50 miler and 100 miler?! Ummm....yeah, I need this stuff!).

Now begins the most difficult part of training for me: Tapering.  My first race of the year is Razorback 50M on March 1st.  Fingers crossed that I don't get the taper crazies too bad!

What is your post-long run or workout routine?  Do you take anything to help with post-run or post-workout soreness? 

No comments:

Post a Comment