Thursday, January 23, 2014

Well hello legs, where have you been?

Today was a heck of a day.  It started off horribly with my alarm failing to wake me up for my o'dark thirty run with my friend Sarah.  I was beyond pissed off that I missed my run but more than anything I was upset and felt super guilty for bailing on my friend (sorry Sarah!).  Thankfully my friend Kelly came to the rescue and offered to join me for a run after work.  I think knowing that I was going to get to run was the only reason I wasn't a complete grouch in the office!

In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit that I've been in a huge running funk lately.  I gained weight over the holidays, fell off my running routine for practically the entire month of December and have been struggling with some slow, craptastic runs for the last 2 1/2 weeks.  I was feeling extremely discouraged and was just hating running so I went into today's run expecting the worst.  Oh but running is a sneaky beast! Just when you think you have things figured out, it goes and throws a curveball your way.

I met up with Kelly at around 4:15 PM and fully expected dead legs from a full day at work.  I told Kelly that I wanted to go really easy and keep it at about a 10:00-10:30ish min/mile pace.  It was perfect running weather: the sun was out but there was a slight chill to the air and a nice cool breeze blowing in from the ocean.  As always, the view couldn't be beat and chatting with my friend made the miles go by faster than I thought they would.  When I looked at my watch at the halfway point, I was shocked at the time!  Our "easy" run had turned into an unplanned progressive run and of course by then I wanted to see how much more I could push it.  Final splits were 10:01, 9:34, 9:19 and 8:54 with a cooldown mile at the end.  Not as fast as I used to be but not as slow as I have been recently either and considering that last mile included a quarter mile hill we affectionately refer to as the "corkscrew" I was beyond thrilled that I was able to push a faster pace.  I was so happy to see a sub-9:00 pace again!

 
I mean really...how can you not run happy with this view?!

We spent the last mile cooling down and chatting about life and promised each other that we'd meet up at least one afternoon every week for a mid-distance run.  Kelly is a speedy beast so when I run with her I always push myself a little harder and faster than normal and I reel Kelly in at the start of each run so that she doesn't start out at a full sprint and gas out at the end.  It's a win-win for both of us!

So despite the fact the day didn't start off as planned, it sure did end pretty darn perfectly.  This run was exactly the confidence booster that I needed to get myself out of my funk.  Who knows...maybe there's hope for a spring marathon PR after all!

Two very happy runners

Have you ever been in a running funk?  What did you do to get out of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment